Aequitas Expert Witness Services Ltd has used forensic computer analysis to assist in cases involving drugs, fraud, asset recovery, corporate investigation, kidnap, murder, rape, insolvency litigation, harassment, assault, robbery, intellectual property theft, dispute resolution, divorce, child abuse and grooming.
In such cases, computer-based evidence has been used not only to incriminate, but also to effectively support alibis.
What can be investigated?
Depending on the nature of the case in question, one or more of the following may reveal useful evidence:
- Internet activity - both live and deleted, on various browsers, including keyword searches
- Email activity - including Outlook, Outlook Express, Hotmail, Gmail
- Detailed user activity - such as behaviour timelines
- Social networking activity and chat logs - including Facebook, Bebo, MSN Messenger
- Peer-to-peer activity - including torrent sites, Limewire
- Pictures and videos - stored media, including partial data if deleted
- Smartphone back-up files - SMS, pictures and call logs for iPhone, BlackBerry and more
- Windows registry analysis
- Document analysis (metadata)
- Virus infections and Trojan invasions